Attendees, vendors, artists, guests, volunteers, and staff are expected to abide by a set of policies which are in compliance with Canadian law and the general policies of the Hamilton Convention Centre by Carmen’s..
ConBravo! is committed to a safe and fun convention for all attendees. We understand that many of our attendees enjoy dressing up and may have props to aid them. With that in mind, and especially for cosplayers and performers, please especially review the Props and Weapons section before bringing your props to the convention.
- No Sleeping in Function Space or Hallways – No attendee may sleep in the hallways, nor any room used for a function. Attendees are expected to book a room from a local hotel or find independent lodgings outside of function space if they intend to stay overnight.
- No Harassment – No attendee shall harass a guest, staff member, volunteer, another attendee, or other individual present in the hotel space. Any such behaviour may lead to expulsion from the convention and revocation of your badge.
- Ask Permission for Photos and Videos – If you wish to take a photo or video of a cosplayer, guest, or other attendee of the convention, please ask permission first.
- No-Photo Areas – The Marketplace is a general no-photo area. Only authorized members of the media and press will be permitted to operate camera equipment in this hall. Further, all attendees must ask permission before photographing a Guest or an Exhibitor’s work or booth. There is absolutely no photography of cosplayers in this area.
- Attendees under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult or guardian at least 16 years or older.
- No attendee under the age of 18 shall be allowed into any panels marked NC-17 or greater.
- Passes must be worn at all times when entering panels, workshops, tournaments, the marketplace, or any other convention event room unless otherwise specifically stated.
- Special Event ticket holders must present their wristbands at the door and upon any re-entry after exiting.
- Any lost passes or tickets should be reported immediately to the Registration Desk or Convention Office. Please bring ID in order to be issued one free replacement. If you cannot present ID, a replacement fee of $5 will be charged. A second lost ticket will be at full price.
- Please note that all ConBravo! staff are uniformed in shirts. If you require assistance, please feel free to approach one of them and ask for help. If they cannot help you directly, the staff member should be able to either direct you, or escort you to someone who can.
- Cell Phones & Devices – Please turn off the volume on your phone or other device while in a panel or event unless otherwise directed. It’s not cool if your ringer suddenly goes off in the middle of someone’s explanation or discussion. Treat it like being at the movies, and please respect the silence.
- Noisemakers, Horns, Etc – No unauthorized use of noisemakers including bicycle horns is permitted at the convention while indoors.
Room Capacities and Lineups
- Lineups – We allow lines to begin 45 minutes before an event or panel opens. If you arrive prior to this, you will be asked to come back later. When the time comes, please line up in an orderly fashion, single-file. Staff and volunteers will be on hand to help manage the line, but please do your part and help us out! It makes it easier for everyone. Certain functions will allow a lineup to begin earlier than 45 minutes, but this is rare. Keep an eye on live updates by following our Twitter @ConBravoLines
- Room Capacity – Each room and function space has a capacity which is enforced by the Fire Marshal. ConBravo! will respect those capacities at all times. Please come early if you think a panel or event you’re interested in is likely to be crowded. You can also follow our live updates on lines at @ConBravoLines.
- Overflow Rooms – Some panels which we anticipate to be full will have overflow rooms with a TV or projector set up for additional attendees. We will direct you to these rooms if you are unable to attend an event due to room capacities.
- Room Clearing – It is our standard policy to clear rooms between large events. We know you may want to sit through two things, but it’s not fair if the people who’ve been waiting for an hour in line can’t get in. Smaller panels usually aren’t cleared, however.
- Special Access – If you require special access for a disability, please email registration ahead of time and they will send you the necessary requirements for obtaining a disability pass.
Props and Weapons
ConBravo! is committed to a safe and fun convention for all attendees. We understand that many of our attendees enjoy dressing up and may have props to aid them. With that in mind, and especially for cosplayers and performers, please review the below weapons policy before bringing your props to the convention.
- No Live Steel – Absolutely no weapons with blades, or that can take a blade.
- No Wild Swinging – No matter how cool you may think you look swinging your sword, bokken, or tonfas around, they could injure someone. Please don’t do it.
- No Illegal Weapons – This includes nunchuks, brass knuckles, shuriken, and blowguns. If the criminal code of Canada says it’s illegal, it is.
- No Firearms – This includes no airsoft rifles, pellet guns, or other projectile weapons. All replicas must have a noticeable and irremovable orange stopper/tip.
- No weapons over 7 feet (214cm) – Weapons larger than this size can prove a major hazard to other attendees, as well as damaging to hotel property.
- No Noisemakers Indoors – No indoor use of bicycle horns and other loud noisemakers will be permitted.
All props and replicas must pass weapon’s inspection before being allowed into ConBravo!, regardless of construction, use, or size. The weapons inspection table will be located next to the registration table at ConBravo!, and open from 9am onwards.
Any attendee found in violation of this weapons policy will be issued a warning. A second offence will result in expulsion from the convention and revoking of convention membership without a refund. Serious offenders will be reported to the local authorities.
Please remember, we try to be nice about the rules. All it takes is one person not following them, or trying to break them to ruin the fun for everyone. Rules will get stricter if people break them. If you see someone endangering others with their stunts or props, please tell the weapon’s inspection table immediately.
General Cosplay & Photography
Our policies on cosplay are generally liberal. We ask that our attendees note the following:
- Public nudity (ie: exposed genitals) is forbidden while on convention centre property.
- We do not tolerate harassment of cosplayers. If a cosplayer feels degraded or threatened by your actions, staff may take issue with the fact.
- We fully encourage cosplay from all media including anime, gaming, sci-fi, comics, and fantasy.
- Please ask permission before taking photos of cosplayers.
- Please do NOT take photos in the Marketplace. It causes traffic jams and can infringe on artist copyright. Only assigned photographers have permission to do so.
A Final Word
Please remember, we try to be nice about the rules. All it takes is one person not following them, or trying to break them to ruin the fun for everyone. Rules will get stricter if people break them. If you see someone endangering others with their stunts or props, please tell staff immediately. We’re here for your safety and to make sure everyone has a good time!